ActiveState PPM probs

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Fri Apr 20 05:59:33 EDT 2001

Tim H wrote:

> Anyway just installed y'alls (ActiveState) Python 2.1 on Win98 and fired up
> ppm and did install PIL.  There is a PIL directory with only a readme and a
> scripts folder.  I know there should be way more than that in there.
> Importing PIL fails (there is a PIL.pth) no matter how its spelled.
> 'ppm>verify pil' indicates PIL is up to date.

You hit a transient problem with our network or mirrors. :( I've fixed
it now. Please do a:

ppm> verify -uf pil

to upgrade your PIL.

> Also did a full search and
> some of the available packages are not up to date, specifically py2exe is at
> 0.2.5 I believe.

Until Python has an equivalent for CPAN, the module updating procedure
must be manual. So the modules get a little out of date while we are
concentrating on a new Python release. We'll work on updating them soon.

Yes, PPM is fairly new. As you can see we are still working out a kink
or two in the distribution system, so we haven't made too big of a noise
about it yet. When the time comes, enthusiastic word of mouth like yours
will spread the word.

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.