Python on the AS/400?

jay graves jgraves3 at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 2 23:08:18 EDT 2001

On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 02:12:25 GMT, kragen at dnaco.net (Kragen Sitaker)
wrote:
<snip>

I wish I had answers for these  questions.  I make my living on the
AS/400 but I love using Python for my own projects.  (Quite often
using data downloaded from the AS/400).  Unfortunately, most of the
programs written for the AS/400 are written in RPG so there are
relatively few people who know 'C' and the AS/400.  If you don't get
an answer here, you might want to pose your question to
comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc

>- is there an AS/400 on which I could get an account (for under $1000,
>  say) so I could run some tests?  Or do I have to buy my own?  It
>  looks like they cost several thousand dollars on eBay.

try
http://www.netshare400.com/
for AS/400 access.

As far as Ebay is concerned, I would be wary unless you are familiar
with what you are getting.  Many of the AS/400's on Ebay use the old
CISC processors and in general are too old and slow for real work.  In
addition, the operating system license does not follow the machine and
it would cost several thousand dollars to get a license.

I hope this helps a little bit.

jay