Python & TKInter applets

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Apr 12 17:57:23 EDT 2001

philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
> I personally find web-based applications easier to write and
> deploy if the code is all on the server side. Then your users can
> use any web browser.

Agreed.  About a year and a half ago, we wanted to build a fairly
complicated GUI application, and began writing it using JPython and
Swing.  It was even packaged using some Java installer product
(InstallShield?).  However, practically no users ever bothered to
download it because it was too much trouble, so we discarded it and
simply did everything as a Web-based application.  The interface
provided by HTML forms is maddeningly restrictive at times -- no
sliders, no type-in multiple choice boxes -- but in ubiquity it has
everything else beat.

--amk