Does Python seem appropriate for me?

Rick Olson r_olson at acusd.edu
Sat Apr 21 16:25:01 EDT 2001

Hi--

I'm doing some research developing some algorithms for solving scheduling
problems.  In the past, I have done most of my work using MS C/C++ v. 7 or
the Watcom compiler on a PC because I could run the result in a DOS
environment making it easy to write big batch files and run comparisons to
other code on a system with little system overheard.  I am now getting ready
to start a new project.  WIN2k has eliminated DOS from my list of options,
so I thought I'd take the plunge into Linux.

The work has essentially three parts:
a) Conceptual developing/coding algorithm
b) Tuning algorithms to get good performance
c) Running comparisons against algorithms developed by other people.

Step b) would be best done with a GUI.  Speed isn't as important as it will
be in step c.  There are many parameter settings to try and it would be nice
to have a "control panel" that I can use to enter parameters and see results
keep track of things.

Step c) is best done at the command line level.  I will run each instance of
an algorithm by itself with as few system processes as possible running.
Consequently, I would like the program to be self-contained with input from
a command line and no GUI interface.  Output will consist of one or two
numbers.

>From what I've picked up in other ngs it sounds like Python with Tkinter may
be the answer.  It sounds like I can write a GUI interface that can extract
the information from the screen.  This info can be the command line prompts
to a call execute the program.

Q1> Can I (relatively easily) also use the output from the program to change
display?  This would allow an interactive test bed.

Q2> Does it seem like Python+Tkinter is an appropriate approach?  I don't
want to need to become highly skilled in either to do the job.  If I can
piece the interface together in a week or two I'd be content.

Q3> Assuming Python makes sense, what books would you recommend.  Again, I
don't need to acquire deep understanding.  I like the "learn by stealing
examples" approach, but have been burned too many times by buggy examples.
Should I pick up a Tk/Tcl book or two, also?

Q4> I like GUI programming environments.  I'm not thrilled with using gdb to
debug.  Is there an X-Windows or KDE programming environment I should
pursue?  (Or is there something I've been missing about gdb)  What
references would you recommend?  It seems like lots of books have single
chapters on these topics, but I'd rather have a dedicated source.

Q5> I'm inclined to go with the Red Hat Distribution.  Is there any reason I
shouldn't?  Do I need a Linux book or are the docs on the Red Hat and Linux
pages adequate?

Thanks in advance-

Rick Olson
Industrial and Systems Engineering