Opening up PEPS a little more.

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sun Apr 29 16:48:04 EDT 2001

[Tom]
> - Is there a way to 'subscribe' to a PEP so that I receive
> notification (or a copy of the PEP) each time its updated?

Nope.  The PEP sources are just another part of the CVS tree, and you can
look at *all* CVS checkin msgs here:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-checkins/

Or you can subscribe to that list:

But that's it:  all or nothing.

> - If I go to the list of PEPS, and choose #234, I get the
> following page:
> http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0234.html  But I now see
> that this is two revisions behind.  So I'm guessing that the PEP
> maintainer has to update these links manually.

Yes, only a plain text form of the PEP is under CVS control.  The HTML form
is generated by a program, and people who check in changes to the text form
are supposed to generate the HTML, then scp that by hand to SourceForge.
That's something people seem to forget often, though.

> - It would be nice if each PEP had a public discussion forum.

Sure.  I don't know how to do it, though, and it requires a volunteer who
does.  In the meantime, some mailing lists have sprung up related to a few
PEPs:

    http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=5470

I personally can't keep track of all the Python-related mailing lists
anymore, though, and the Geocrawler system (the thing SourceForge mailing
lists hook up to) has such poor archive facilities as to be essentially
useless for archiving.  So better IMO to discuss PEPs on comp.lang.python,
with a clear "[PEP nnn]" tag in the Subject line.