Musing out loud... [Why not Smalltalk?]

James A. Robertson jarober at mail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:42:41 EDT 2001

Eric Clayberg wrote:

> "Piercarlo Grandi" <pg_nh at sabi.Clara.co.UK> wrote in message
> news:yf366g3awne.fsf at sabi.ClaraNET.co.UK...
> >
> > Thus I find it a bit bizarre to imagine that "it took the Anamorphic
> > team to pull them all together and prove that they worked in concert",
> > because the Self group not only largely developed them, but they did
> > that themselves (actually it was mostly just one guy for the
> > Smalltalk-80 clone) and in the most straightforward way possible.

There's also this:  Self took SCADS of memory to do it's thing, while
HotSpot was relatively lightweight.  The funny thing is, Sun had to do
a  lot of work anyway - optimizing tricks for Smalltak are not
equivalent to optimizing tricks for Java

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom
jarober at mail.com