Python & TKInter applets

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 04:29:59 EDT 2001

"Robert Johnson" <rjohnson at exotic-eo.com> wrote in message
news:3ad54f9f$0$36580$e2e8da3 at nntp.cts.com...
    [snip]
> > What platforms, exactly, do you want to target?  Why does your app
> > need to be a "web" one (DOES it)?  Why does it need to be client-side
> > (DOES it)?
    [snip]
> I think that Java might be the only option.

Only if client-side is a must, and it doesn't seem to be.

> I doubt I would run into many
> Macs as the target would be scientists who would more than likely use
> Windows or Unix/Linux boxes.  Plus, about half our customers are
Europe/Asia
> and I don't believe Mac has much foothold there.

I think Mac as a higher market-share in Italy than in the US,
not that this is very relevant to your problems.

> But the fact that they
> may use Unix/Linux would seem to suggest a Java solution.

Nah, a server-side solution is probably preferable, and in
that case Python is no doubt better (if there are any heavy
computations involved, you can speed them up by using Python
to control speedy extension modules -- Numeric and PIL are
great for their jobs, and since you've already indicated
that your target _server_ is NT, you can also use just about
any useful COM components you may have around if they help).

Alex