Python version of binascii.b2a_hex (binary to hex conversion)?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri Apr 27 18:16:36 EDT 2001

    GG> Greetings Barry,

    GG> I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak,
    GG> but is there a way to unhexlify using all builtins such as
    GG> what I've done with hexlify here?

    |     def hexlify(b):
    |         return "%02x"*len(b) % tuple(map(ord, b))

Well, depends on how you define `builtins' :)  Do you mean functions
in the builtin module, or C builtin functions?  Or are you looking for
a convenient one-liner?

Essentially the unhexlify I posted uses only C builtin functions,
e.g. [].append, strop.atoi, range, len, chr, strop.join.  I don't
remember if anybody came up with a nice one-liner when the thread was
debated eons ago.

Cheers,
-Barry