os.system question

Thomas Duterme thomas at madeforchina.com
Thu Apr 12 23:36:31 EDT 2001

Hi folks,

This may sound silly, but I have a question on os.system().

Let's say I have a script while calls some program XXX via
os.system().  Will python wait for XXX to finish what its
doing before continuing on with the rest of the script?

ie

...some python code
   os.system('./XXX')
   some more python

Do I need to call a wait() method after the system
call?  Or will python 'know' to wait?   In this case I want
python to wait for XXX to finish, but what if I wanted
python to just mosey on down while launching a
subprocess...(ie not wait)  How would this be done?

TIA,
Thomas