Problem with asyncore and Python2.0

Craig Findlay craigf at ilid.com.au
Tue Apr 17 02:07:25 EDT 2001

   I have just installed Python2.0 on a box running OpenBSD2.8
   Now a simple asyncore based server that was running happily on the
box under Python 1.6, dies whenever a client tries to connect. (The
server runs a proprietary protocol which is probably not important
here) Now for the strange part.
   If I start the server from the console or from a remote SSH
session, while I am logged on the server runs fine and clients can
connect to it successfully.
   However, If I then log off the console or the SSH session, the next
time a client tries to connect, the process dies silently.
   The same thing happens if I start the server from the rc.local
script when the box boots.
   I have tried putting in lots of print and syslog statements in the
script to try to find the point at which this happens but I can't
which leads me to suspect that it is the underlying sockets layer. The
script does not seem to be throwing an exception.
   I cannot understand why the script works while I am logged on to
the console or via SSH.

Any ideas?
Craig