I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Wed Apr 11 21:55:43 EDT 2001

    François> [Alex Martelli]

    >> IF the huge investment of time and energy doesn't faze you
    >> [...] striving to help others articulate their objections, in
    >> great detail, by first laying out in just as much details my
    >> reason for NOT objecting at all to the architecture Guido has
    >> chosen for .join;

Sorry, Alex... but having read the discussions on python-dev, it
doesn't seem like your "Guido has chosen" argument would fly.  It
didn't seem to me like Guido `chose'... more like Barry did a patch
which contained .join, and Guido approved the whole kit'n kaboodle...

So, for me it looks much more like something like an accident than a
well-reasoned decision (not the introduction of string-methods, but
making .join a method of strings).

    François> In the case under discussion, here, I suspect that the
    François> community has shown enough reluctance to consider that
    François> there was at least something to ponder.  Details may
    François> well have been articulated, but if they are not even
    François> listened at, there is no point in repeating them
    François> endlessly: this is a lost cause.

Well, not just c.l.py, even on -dev were quite a number of voices
against separator.join.

One of the best: Smalltalk does has `join' as a method of
*collections*, not strings!  One *might* think that the designers of
Smalltalk were... well, not the most stupid people on the planet.

Bye, J

PS: I still hope that someday we will see this separator.join wart
disappear again...

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard at gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html