fractals with Python (was: against Mathematica [sci.fractals])

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Sep 9 18:07:04 EDT 2000

tim.lavoie at mts.net (Tim Lavoie) wrote:

> In sci.fractals, Louis M. Pecora wrote:
>
> >This I will take exception to.  I have been using Mathematica for
> >years, actually since it's first incarnation as SMP.

Mathematica impresses me.  A lot.  Some of what it can do
I would have considered AI-complete had I not seen a 486
do it with my own eyes.  Particularly when you get into
differentials.

But I would never consider it to be easy to use, unless
you're just adding integers or something.  Easier than
working the problems by hand, though...  especially if
you have a series of similar problems.  If I had a copy
of it I could do things I'm currently not doing for lack
of time.  For example, I'd like to design a puppet pattern
with a parabolic mouth curve, but that makes it necessary
to calculate a fair number of integrals to get the shape
of the head foam right (because you're cutting from a piece
of two-dimensional foam that ends up bent into a third
dimension), and it would take days to do by hand, plus
my calculus is a bit rusty so it might take me weeks.  If
Mathematica didn't cost real money I'd probably get it
do the pattern in a couple of days.  So instead I stick
with easier shapes (sigh), such as an arc for the front
of the mouth with (tangent) lines for the sides.

For fractals, though, I've never gone any deeper than
just using FracTint.

- jonadab