Installing 1.6 on AIX

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Fri Sep 8 12:56:40 EDT 2000

On 8 Sep 2000, Mike 'Cat' Perkonigg wrote:

> sdm7g at virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) wrote in
> <Pine.A32.3.90.1000907180720.12156D at elvis.med.Virginia.EDU>:
>
> >I don't know, but I get "yes" when I do it, but I'm using
> >./configure --with-threads --without-gcc
> >so I'm using the AIX xlc compiler instead of gcc.
> >
> >( If I remember correctly why I'm doing this, I think it's
> >  because gcc complains about missing whitespace in some of
> >  the AIX headers included with --with-threads. But I could
> >  be misremembering this. )
>
> I was told that it isn't possible to compile Python 1.5.2 with GCC (better
> EGCS).
> It compiled fine with XLC.
> Maybe it's the same problem with 1.6?

Python (since way before 1.5 and I think, up to present) has always
compiled "out-of-the-box" for me with gcc on AIX.
( currently gcc version 2.95.2, but others previously )

However, when I edit Modules/Setup and add shared libraries and/or
add thread support with configure -- i.e. changing anything from
the default out-of-the-box install, I often run into problems.
I don't know if that means it can't be built with gcc, but I've
often found switching to xlc an easy way around. Most of the other
problems look like something that may be fixable with a hour or
two of playing with switches or include files, but the whitespace
complaints for the include files for thread enabled build really
stumped me, so switching compilers was the only thing I found to
work.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."