idle 1.6 bug on Windows?

Li Dongfeng mavip1 at inet.polyu.edu.hk
Thu Sep 7 05:32:51 EDT 2000

I have also found similar problem in a Chinese Win98 system,
using the new python 2.0b1 install.
When I tried to input Chinese(using GB2312 encoding) to
an IDLE source window, the characters are not displayed as
expected. And when I tried to delete them, the program
simply GP faulted.

And I have also found a problem with the "Edit | Replace"
menu: The "REPLACE" button does nothing,
giving these error messages:

Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\PYTHON20\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1284, in __call__
    return apply(self.func, args)
  File "C:\Python20\Tools\idle\ReplaceDialog.py", line 93, in replace_all
    new = re.pcre_expand(m, repl)
AttributeError: pcre_expand

dir(re) revealed that the re module has no method pcre_expand.

"Syver Enstad" <syver.enstad at sensewave.com> wrote in message
news:8p5qp0$ppb$1 at troll.powertech.no...
> Using Python 1.6 final on Windows 2000 Professional.
>
> When I try to open one of my source files I get a traceback.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "G:\Program Files\Python\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 766, in
> __call__
>     return apply(self.func, args)
>   File "G:\PROGRA~1\Python\Tools\idle\IOBinding.py", line 71, in open
>     self.editwin.flist.open(filename)
>   File "G:\PROGRA~1\Python\Tools\idle\FileList.py", line 39, in open
>     if os.path.isdir(filename):
>   File "G:\Program Files\Python\lib\ntpath.py", line 216, in isdir
>     st = os.stat(path)
> UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)
>
> The path to the file is "E:\Våre
> dokumenter\Kode\pythonscript\pythonaddin.py" so I guess it's the a with a
> ring that's causing it. Any suggestions as to how to make it work?
>
> Is it best to continue using the 1.5.2 version of Python when using
Windows?