Python 2.0b1 is released!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 05:47:31 EDT 2000

"Tom Loredo" <loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu> wrote in message
news:39B7C913.4CF0B3D5 at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu...
> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:09:59 +0200, Bristol <bristol at users.ch> declaimed
> > the following in comp.lang.python:
> >

> > > That's going too fast; first you need to call it by the name of a
venomous
> > > snake...
> > >
> >         I think "Asp" is already taken... <G>
>
> How about "Cobra", just to maximize the possibility of confusion
> with CORBA....

I somewhat doubt that anybody of Dutch origins would willingly
trample on the name of the Netherland's "Inter-University
Research Institute on Communication Technology", see
    http://www.cobra.tue.nl/

But anyway, I think it's far too overloaded a word already (my
main mental connection with it in computer realms is with the
first bridge bidding system designed specifically for use by
computers, but anyway Google gives 543,000 hits...

"Adder" is much better, "just" 84,300 hits, and many of those
appear to be on "Black Adder", on the snake, or on the hardware
component that adds, i.e., the _desired_ homonyms.  Of course,
there are programs called 'Adder', too (e.g. a snake game by
FreEpoc for the Palmtop)...

Alex