multithreading on Linux

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Sep 4 11:45:35 EDT 2000

In article <8ovoan$asq$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, yasho  <yavor at einet.bg> wrote:

>I am new to Python and my question may be stupid. I am beginning to
>write a application on Linux and I need to know for sure if
>multithreading is supported by the python on Linux and in what degree I
>can rely on it.

Multi-threading is supported and you can rely on it -- provided that you
have compiled Python using --with-thread.  Unfortunately, that's not the
default option in current shipping versions of Python, so the Python
included on shipping Linux distributions is *NOT* thread-enabled.  This
may be a problem if you intend to make your application available to
other people.

Python 2.0 changes this default so that threading *is* enabled, but it
is only having its first beta this week.  If your application isn't
going to ship for roughly six months, I'd recommend switching to 2.0
right now.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Goodbye dinner for Netcom shell, Thurs 9/7, 7:30pm, Mountain View, CA
e-mail me for details