in-module global variables

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Sep 28 14:16:56 EDT 2000

In article <mailman.970136624.1180.python-list at python.org>,
Matthew Banham <matb at photond.com> wrote:

>When writing a python module, how do I correctly declare a global variable-
>i.e. a variable that has scope throughout the whole of the module?

You cannot.  You must explicitly declare that variable to be global
within each scope by using the "global" statement.  I suggest instead
that you create a dictionary or class instance and modify its
attributes (mutable objects can be functionally global because you only
change their internal state, not the object reference itself).

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Perhaps God rewards martyrs, but life seldom does..." --Ulrika O'Brien