can i use the python in apache like PHP??

Cary O'Brien cobrien at Radix.Net
Sat Sep 23 07:25:41 EDT 2000

In article <39c9ba2c.0 at news2.tm.net.my>, ykchew <ykchew at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>      I need to develop cgi with apache server and i would like to know
>whether the python can be use for it or not?? (like apache + PHP)...
>    and how is the performance compare to other script language on apache...

There are several ways:

1) Plain old  cgi (new process for each request)  see the cgi module in the standard
   python distribution.

     http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-cgi.html

   Or roll your own from scratch.

2) apache module, like mod_perl or mod_php (right).  There are several in development.
   See http://modules.apache.org, search for python.

3) Zope.  Zope is a big web application engine built on python.  See http://www.zope.org.

I'm a big Zope fan, but it can be a bit intimidating if you are in a hurry. If you are
in a hurry, the cgi module looks like the quickest way to get up and running if you
know a bit of python.  If you are a big PHP fan, go for solution 2.

have fun!

-- cary