Civility in the Marketplace of Ideas [was: Public Domain Python]

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Tue Sep 19 19:57:32 EDT 2000

<http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/print/2322/>

[ ... ]

"But what mystifies me the most is the amount of vehemence that Richard
Stallman provokes whenever he weighs in on a subject. I have seen this
time and time again, most recently regarding licensing issues surrounding
KDE, Qt, and Python. In these cases, RMS was asked his opinion regarding
licenses by many folks--including TrollTech, BeOpen, and Linux Today--and
in each case Stallman responded in a professional and constructive
manner. He didn't go out in search of fights, and in the case of
TrollTech and BeOpen I was told both on and off the record that RMS had
proven to be very helpful. Similarly, when we were seeking comments on
licensing issues for LinuxToday, RMS was very helpful. "

"That's why it's so distressing to me to see the reaction he engendered
from people on Linux Today and Slashdot. The talkbacks in both public
forums were filled with anger and denouncement. He was called a fascist,
a dictator, and a communist. Readers felt compelled to make pointed
personal attacks on RMS in the course of disagreeing with him. " [ ... ]