Public Domain Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Sep 13 20:19:46 EDT 2000

[discussion of fame for contributions]

> > which-is-why-richard-stallman-insists-we-call-'linux'
> >    -'the-gnu/linux-system'-<<fat chance>>-ly y'rs,

His point is that a larger fraction of gnu-linux, as usually distributed,
come from the gnu project (gcc, etc, etc) than from Linus and the rest of
the Linux team.

> Well, he can insist all he likes.  Stallman is to be admired for many
> things, including his long-term promotion if the free software ideal
> which has indirectly led to a hiuge amount of open-source software
> becoming (pretty) freely available.  I suspect he's being unrealistic
> in that insistence.

Agreed.  Best Buy now sells about 5 boxed (gnu/)linux distributions.  As I
remember, all just called it Linux, so I think the the naming of the system
after the kernal is a done deal.

And recognition of the same will only push FSF and crew to finish the Gnu
kernal, if they can, so they can distribute GnuOS as such and get proper
credit for what they have done.

> At the same time, I think most people involved with Linux are aware
> that Stallman's (and the FSF's) contributions have been large.

Probably true for most participants, but I was not so aware until I read
RS's claim quoted above.

Terry J. Reedy