PEP: Adding new operators for elementwise/objectwise operations

Tom Loredo loredo at spacenet.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 27 17:03:23 EDT 2000

Huaiyu-

I've been following this discussion on and off from the beginning, and
find myself among those who use Python primarily for numerical
computing, but don't see the need for the new operators.  But if
they are to be added, I have to say I don't like the choice of
"~" as the new indicator for the operations.  This symbol is
currently in wide use in statistics for to indicate "is distributed as."
Of course, it has other uses in mathematics, but this particular use
is already widespread in statistical computing for definition
of statistical models in high level modeling"script" style software
(e.g., see BUGS: http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/bugs).  I am developing
a statistical computing framework in Python, and may use "~"
in this already-accepted fashion; I would hate to see its meaning
"overloaded" this way.

-Tom Loredo