Scripting language for an application

Dan Schmidt dfan at harmonixmusic.com
Thu Sep 28 10:55:21 EDT 2000

Marco Seiriö <marco at crepido.com> writes:

| I'm doing research (=surfing the web) in order to see
| what language I will use in an application (C++) we are
| building. Today we use Perl to some extent. Would you
| think there would be any benefit from using Python instead/also?
|
| My main concerns are speed and ease of use.

We are using Python here as an embedded language and it's working
wonderfully so far.  I don't know how it would compare to Perl for
speed, but it's very easy to use.

If you use Python, you undoubtedly want to either use

 - Swig <http://www.swig.org> if you want to generate an interface
   automatically between Python and your C++ classes, or

 - CXX <http://cxx.sourceforge.net> if you want to do your interfaces
   by hand.

We're using CXX and it's very clean.  I recommend it highly for any
project combining Python and C++ (especially after looking at how the
interfacing is done in straight C!).

--
                 Dan Schmidt | http://www.dfan.org
Honest Bob CD now available! | http://www.dfan.org/honestbob/cd.html