smtplib authentication

Gijs Reulen greulen at gilsing.nl
Sun Sep 24 09:33:32 EDT 2000

Hi

I studied the smtplib and found it does not support authentication :-( Nor
can I find any rfc on the subject ?! rfc822 and others only seem to discuss
the sending/recieving of mails to smtp servers that do not need to be logged
in. Thats ok for locally addressed mail. However, the provider hosting our
own domainname does not have an smtp server and therefore I have to use
another server to relay my messages.
Can anyone please explain to me how to authenticate a smtp connection from
Python ? Or at least how to do it in general (if a general solution exists)
?

Thanks !
Gijs Reulen