What is Python?

Andy Smith ams70 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 06:31:14 EDT 2000

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> All the BASICs I used (over ten years ago, mind you) involved suffixes
> on numeric variables to change the precision.  You could always still
> write LET A = 3 without worrying about them.  (The $ suffix was required
> for strings, of course.)

The GW-BASIC/BASICA/TV-BASIC family on DOS (and maybe others) had a
"feature" whereby you could define the type of a variable depending on
its first letter, so "defint a-f" would make it assume all variables
beginning with a to f were integers.  I'm not sure which made your
code less readable, using the $%! suffixes or ensuring your variables
started with the right letters.

    Andy
Andy Smith                                             ams70 at cam.ac.uk
St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP, UK               (07989) 453208