1.6 or 2.0b1?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Sep 24 00:24:28 EDT 2000

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <39CD2674.66158180 at nycap.rr.com>,
> Grant Austin  <archer at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >I'm new to programming in all respects, and am wondering if I should
> >start with python 1.6 or 2.0b1?
>
> I'd start with 1.5.2 now and switch to 2.0final later.

You (Grant) probably have not experienced spending a lot of time
learning some new language or technology, only to find out that it
changes underneath your feet even as you are learning it.  In this
particular case, there are a few changes coming up in 2.0 which might
cause you some confusion if you hear about them in this newsgroup or try
to run programs that you've downloaded and which take advantage of
them.  (For example, strings will support a more object-oriented style
of manipulation, but only in 2.0.)

If you need to start right away, download 1.5.2 and use it for now (it's
quite easy to install and experiment with) but keep in mind that many
people in this forum will be (and already are!) discussing 2.0
features.  In other words, don't get too attached to 1.5.2.

--
Peter Hansen