"CPAN" SIG?

Hans Nowak hnowak at cuci.nl
Tue Sep 26 12:09:10 EDT 2000

On 26 Sep 00, at 9:06, David Porter wrote:

> * Hans Nowak <ivnowa at hvision.nl>:
> >
> > Just curious, but why isn't there a SIG for making a large library of
> > code? (Or is there and I am not aware of it?) I often see people ask if
> > Python has something like CPAN...
> >

> The typical response I've seen is that this is related to the Distutils SIG.

I will have to (re)read the message archive of that SIG, but if I am not
mistaken, it is about distributing modules... not about building a vast
library of modules. Easy distribution is only one of CPAN's merits; another
is that the collection of modules is huge. Methinx, this is what people
typically look for when they ask about something CPAN-like in Python.

Assuming there is no "large-library" SIG, would it be a good idea to start
one? Thoughts, anyone?

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
May a daft punk hijack your dastardly deeds!