What is Python?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Sep 20 19:14:02 EDT 2000

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 10:40:28PM +0000, Tim Hammerquist wrote:

> On the other hand, Perl-ers and Python-ers share one identifying
> characteristic: stubbornness and tunnel-vision.

Now now, that's a bit unfair. Stubborn, sure, everyone is stubborn; some
people are just stubborn for shorter periods. Pythoners are often people who
know what they like, and don't agree with other stubborn people who prefer
other things. So they stay stubborn for a particularly long time ;)

But tunnel-vision ? I get tunnelvision when I'm very tired, but it's only
the physical kind. I enjoy a new language as much as the next guy, and so, I
suspect, does the average Pythoneer. In fact, Tim, the average Pythoneer by
choice(*), is one of the most avid advocates for other languages. Just see how
often he praises Dylan, Icon, Scheme, ML, and Unlambda, and strongly
suggests people take a look at those languages (and others, and more!) He
even admits to using Perl every once in a while ;)

Did-I-thank-you-yet-for-suggesting-Unlambda--Tim?--thanx!-ly y'rs,

*) Okay, my choice, but noone else in this group comes close to being the
average Pythoneer -- he has surely identified with every extremist
exclamation I've seen, and always took the time to explain to the extremist
in question what they actually mean and why they are mistaken or misguided ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>