Of what use is 'lambda'???

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sun Sep 24 14:02:35 EDT 2000

Sun, 24 Sep 2000 11:01:13 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One <jonadab at bright.net> pisze:

> I have a question.  What is the difference between functional
> programming and procedural programming?  I know I should know
> this, but...

Here is my definition of functional programming:
- working with immutable data,
- working with function closures.

The rest of the whole functional style is a consequence of these.

Python does quite good job in the first point. The second is
half-baked: one have to explicitly list free variables of a closure
and lambda cannot execute explicitly listed statements.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/