2000: A Win32 Oddisey

Pedro diazjimenez at ctv.es
Sat Sep 23 12:56:58 EDT 2000

Hi guys!!

I've just get involved in a project that needs to fetch some web pages via SSL. I said :
"ok, no problem. Just let me take my debian box..." . My boss
said this time it will we a WIN32 project: "oops!" (error #1)

But anyway, it was still ok. I knew that there was a win32 python2.0b, so just downloaded it but... (error, #2) "oops!". No SSL support in the binary python2.0b
distro for win32.

But even after that, it was all ok. I said: "OK, no problem. I'll just download
DJGPP , the python and openssl sources and make a pretty, nifty
python-with-that-fucking-ssl-support-for-socket-and-therebefore-httplib". Big
error, #3. Python requires Visual C++ for compiling, and we wont buy that
only for a single project.

But even, even after that, I thought "OK, no problem. I'll just download cygwin from
cygnus, compile the python2.0b sources as I do in an Unix environment but
(thanks cygnus!) creating a pretty win32 python.exe bundle". Big, Big, error
#4. Python 2.0b compiles more or less OK with cygwin (without ssl support), but, my old friend, to give ssl support to python I have to compile openssl wich, each time I try to compile it in cygwin, says something like: "hey you, motherfucker. Buy that Visual C++ or I won't compile ever"

Sooooo, my question is:

    Does, for god's sake, anybody have a python2.0b distro compiled with SSL
    support????. Will any carity sould send me that python2.0b with SSL support????????????????. Any other ideas???????????'

Thanks
    Pedro

SSL_Support_for_Python_w32 || suicide;