Pronouncing "print>>"

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Fri Sep 1 15:30:59 EDT 2000

I tried to keep silent on this one, but helas I can't help...

Barry A. Warsaw <bwarsaw at beopen.com> wrote:

>     CE> While I don't really like the new print syntax, I've decided
>     CE> to accept it.  This leaves me with the problem of how to say
>     CE> it out loud.

> I pronounce it: "print to file".  FWIW, I personally would have
> preferred exactly that spelling, but the syntactic problems prevented
> it.  Alas.

Why not do something dreadfull like allowing this one special keyword
to behave just a little bit like an object? so we could say:

>>> print.to(some_file) 'this is neat, not'

and even:

>>> print.no_newline 'spam'
>>> print.no_space ' and spam'
spam and spam

and ofcourse combining is allowed:

>>> print.no_newline 'spam'
>>> print.no_space.no_newline ', spam'
>>> print 'and spam'
spam, spam and spam

and now for some real horros:
>>> print.no_spaces 'a', 'b', 'c'
abc

I wonder how this would look to a newbie:)
To me the uncoolness is that I don't see how other
keywords would benefit of this peculiar 'feature'.
--
groetjes, carel