Is Python worth learning?

Peter Hansen phansen at kaval.com
Mon Sep 4 01:39:06 EDT 2000

Weiqi Gao wrote:

> Crow and Servo wrote:
> >
> > Is Python going to give Java a run for its money someday, or does Java have too
> > much of a lead?
>
> If you look five years out, yes. But a lot can happen in five years.
> Right now there is no compelling reason to ABANDON Java AND ADOPT
> Python.
>
> C was compelling because it is used to program UNIX and Windows.  Perl
> was compelling because it is used in CGIs and shell scripts.  Java was
> compelling because it supports applets and then servlets and EJBs.
> Visual Basic was compelling because it is used to script COM components.
>
> Python will become compelling in some aspects of most corporate
> programmers everyday work one of these days.  But I can't think of
> something that can be accomplished in Python and in Python alone right
> now.  I'm sure the regulars of the list will have plenty of examples.

Curious.

I find Python compelling because it can be used to program Unix and
Windows.

I find Python compelling because it can be used in CGIs and shell
scripts.

I find Python compelling because it supports servlets and EJB-style
stuff (see Zope).

I find Python compelling because it is used to script COM components, or
build them.

I find Python compelling because it is extremely easy to learn (teach,
actually).

I find Python compelling because code in it is actually readable and
maintainable.

I find Python compelling because it is so productive, and fun to use.

I'm not sure I see a need for Python to be able to do something that it
and it alone can accomplish.  On the other hand, I don't think there is
another language that can do *all* the above and the other things Python
can do.  To me, that's compelling!

Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
Director of Software Engineering
Kaval Telecom Inc.