Public Domain Python

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 16 03:45:30 EDT 2000

[Grant Griffin]
> As to the GPL, the GNU folks are welcome and invited to waste their time
> re-implementing Python ...

Actually, they're neither, from my POV.  But this is a fallback position for
them, not what they *want*.  We have fallback positions too.  It is, I
think, very unfortunate that this particular fallback position of theirs got
publicized.  RMS never said it in public, it was in speculative email that
probably should not have been forwarded.  Too late to take that back, alas.
But if anyone is picturing RMS jumping up & down threatening people with a
reimplementation, they've got it all wrong.  If it turns out the lawyers
can't reach agreement, a Python fork is something the FSF will probably have
to consider seriously.  There's no glee on either side picturing that.

losing-that-fresh-clean-feeling-ly y'rs  - tim