nntplib timeout bug?

Steven Adams quickdry at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 12 06:10:31 EDT 2000

small world.... thats my uni,

Just a note, the link to www.cs.usyd.edu.au probably won't work, try
http://www.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au/~piers

After looking through his public directories, the web site is only
applicable to a summer school course he runs, and his 'python' directory
doesn't have public read permissions. So, if the other module isn't suitable
email, or post here again and I'll ask him to make it available.

oh this email address should work for contacting him: piers at cs.usyd.edu.au

hope that helps,

Steven

--
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum -- "I think that I think, therefore I think
that I am." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

"Radovan Garabik" <garabik at center.fmph.uniba.sk.spam> wrote in message
news:8pkg9t$de8$1 at sunnews.cern.ch...
> v2ng at my-deja.com wrote:
>  : I saw a previous  message thread about the urllib library and a problem
>  : with timeouts (or actually the lack thereof).
>
>  : I have a similar problem with nntplib.  Sometimes I try fetching an
>  : article and the nntp server just stalls for whatever reason.
>
>  : Since I can't seem to kill threads, how should I go about detecting a
>  : timeout condition?  Python doesn't seem to ever timeout of trying to
get
>  : the article from the news server.
>
> check out http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~piers/python/timeout_socket.py
> as well as http://www.timo-tasi.org/python/timeoutsocket.py
> both authors seem not to know about each other, and
> having seen the increasing freuency of questions about socket
> timeouts on comp.lang.python, I'd guess a time has come to merge
> these two modules and put them into standard library (wishful
> thinking :-))
>

> --
> | Radovan Garabik http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |
> | __..--^^^--..__    garabik @ melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk     |
> Antivirus alert: file .signature infected by signature virus.
> Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your signature file to help me
spread!