A very, very newbie question :)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 09:36:26 EDT 2000

"Jonadab the Unsightly One" <jonadab at bright.net> wrote in message
news:39b623fe.4343445 at news.bright.net...
    [snip]
> vim is another editor that is powerful but complex.  I can't
> really compare it fairly with Emacs because I've never

No comparison, really.  Vi is just an editor: Emacs is a
way of life.  Vim has added lots of nifty little things
with respect to good old vi, including a Python integration
that it can be optionally compiled with (and a few more,
such as Perl, COM on Windows, etc), so one can do
    :[range]python <statement>
or
    :[range]pyfile <file>
(and on the Python side, 'import vim', etc), but it's still
normally not used to do anything truly rich or complex such
as reading news, acting as an IDE, etc, etc, although the
base support for so doing is there, if one is so inclined.

Alex