What is Python?

Grant Edwards nobody at nowhere.nohow
Tue Sep 26 19:10:19 EDT 2000

In article <39D1259E.2D6668B6 at san.rr.com>, Darren New wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:
>> There's plenty of little strange bits hidden in the corners of
>> English.  Ever notice that when "I" is the subject, you use the
>> plural verb form rather than the singular?
>
>Can you give an example of that?

I run.

"run" is the plural present-tense form of the verb: "They run."

The singular present-tense form is "runs": "He runs." "It runs."

It's the same for all of the regular verbs:

  I write programs  vs.  He writes programs.

Note that the plurality(?) of the verb is defined by the subject and not the
direct object.  But, there's generally only a difference in present tense.
In future, past, and future perfect "I" and "He" will use the same verb.

I will run.  He will run.

I will have run. He will have run.

I ran. He ran.

But, in past-perfect you do use the plural "have" instead of the singular
"has" when the subject is "I":

I have run.  He has run.

[it's been a few years since English grammar class, so I'm sure I've gotten
a detail wrong somewhere.]

>> People who grew up with formal vs. informal versions of "you" think it odd
>> that we only have the one version.
>
>We do. "Thee" and "thou" and "thine". ;-)

I'd phrase it "we used to".  People tend to look at you funny when you use
those. To be honest, I'd forgot about those. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  LOOK!! Sullen
                                  at               American teens wearing