Zope & Python

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Sep 16 13:11:44 EDT 2000

Leon Booyens wrote:

> a) It does not even support the concept of private, protected and public
> instance variables and methods. The whole concept of "design-by-contract"
> relies on the availability of these features.  You cannot rely on
> programmers to have the discipline to comply with (nonexistent) interface
> specifications.

You know...I've played the private/public/protected game in C++
faithfully for about five years (though mostly in private <wink>), but
in retrospect, I just really can't see much point to it.  (And don't
even get me started on that bogus "friend" thing--with a friend like
that, who needs enemies? <wink>)

The only thing of all of that I can see any real point to now is
"private", which I use to mean "this stuff is Plutonium; pure toxic
nuclear waste; the most deadly substance on the planet: don't touch it
unless you're trying to save the good people of Chernyobl, at the
possible cost of your own life".

I think Python has some sort of convention or system for that, but I've
never used it.

> c) Java allows a wide choice of compilers, debugging and profiling tools,
> modelling tools, middleware, and libraries for everything under the sun.

To be honest with you, my major disinterest in Java (besides all the
hype <0.9 wink>) is driven by the fact that its libraries seem to be
replaced on a daily basis; frankly, it takes me too long to understand
any given system to invest my time in one that will be obsolete before I
even get done reading the "Learn Java Libraries in 21 Days" book that
just repeats the online documentation.

> It
> is a mainstream language for commercial applications, with a relatively
> large pool of programming expertise and with support from most major
> industry players (besides Microsoft).

Are you sure?...  I read the other day that Microsoft bagged on their
Java product.

"unbaggablity"-is-one-of-the-very-best-reasons-i-know-to-use
   "open-source"-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com