Link Errors Trying to Embed Python in C

Jeff Perry jsp at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:23:04 EDT 2000

I am trying to embed Python in a C application, but I keep getting link
errors.  I am running Windows 98, and I am using Python 1.6.  The errors I
get are of the nature:

    config.c: undefined reference to 'init***'

I compile with config.c and I link with python16.lib.  Obviously, I'm not
linking with the right stuff-- can someone tell me what I'm missing?

BTW, when I try the same thing under Linux 2.2.16-3 linking with config.c
and libpython1.6.a, I get almost identical results.

My C file looks like this:
pyrun.c
****
#include "Python.h"
int main (int argc, char **argv) { Py_Initialize (); return 0 }
****

My Makefile looks like this:
Makefile
****
PYLIB=python16.lib
LIB=c:/progra~1/python16/libs/$(PYLIB)
PYSRC=c:/progra~1/python16/PC/
INCLUDE=c:/progra~1/python16/include
CC=gcc -Wall -I$(INCLUDE) $(OPT)
CFILES=pyrun.c

all:
 $(CC) $(LIB) $(CFILES) $(PYSRC)/config.c
****

Thanks,
Jeff