What's the heck "Beopen python" ?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Wed Sep 6 03:06:06 EDT 2000

[Manuel Gutierrez Algaba]
> I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it. I think python was/is
> python. But now, a slight difference comes , it's _beopen_ python.

[Aahz]
> I have no inside information, but I suspect this is a reaction to the
> trademark filing by CNRI.

I have inside information!  What's it worth to you to find out <wink>?  OK,
just so long as you promise not to tell:

BeOpen.com is a business.  A *nice* business, but a business all the same.
They're not getting a heck of a lot out of funding PythonLabs (Guido and his
Personal Slaves) so far except legal headaches.  I can't speak for
BeOpen.com's management, but it's a pretty safe bet that they'd at least
like get to some good publicity out of it.  So we say "BeOpen PythonLabs"
when we remember to; and now that BeOpen has actually released its first
Python (2.0b1 -- go get it *now*!), we'll also say "BeOpen Python" when we
remember to and it fits; and they appreciate it when others do too.  They
won't sue you if you don't.  It's voluntary.  Heck, if you appreciate the
efforts BeOpen.com is making on Python's behalf, pick up a link!

    http://www.pythonlabs.com/logos.html

If I ever figure out how the web works, I'll display one on my pages.

BTW, that's not "a snake" in the logos.  As Aahz can testify, that's a
photograph of me.

Those who have been paying attention will have noticed that I've been
writing "BeOpen PythonLabs" since before they hired me.  That was long
before we knew CNRI had applied for various Python-related trade and service
marks.  So the latter isn't the motivation.  And in response to a query from
Python Consortium members, CNRI's Dr. Robert Kahn replied that CNRI would
transfer the application for the "Python" service mark to Guido, provided
that ... something or other.  I don't want to quote the email without
permission, and I didn't understand it well enough to paraphrase it.  So, as
always, "ask CNRI" if you want to know what they're doing.

that's-what-monty-beopen-python-would-do-too-ly y'rs  - beopen tim