[ANN] py_cpp Python/C++ binding system

David Abrahams abrahams at mediaone.net
Mon Sep 18 01:21:31 EDT 2000

"Thaddeus L. Olczyk" <olczyk at interaccess.com> wrote in message
news:39c58f7f.534955890 at nntp.interaccess.com...
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 02:48:04 GMT, "David Abrahams"
> <abrahams at mediaone.net> wrote:
>
> >This is the first release of py_cpp, a system exporting your C++ classes
and
> >functions in a Python extension module with a nearly identical interface.
> >
> >See http://people.ne.mediaone.net/abrahams/downloads/py_cpp.html.
> >
> >Feedback appreciated!
> >-Dave
> >
> Why is it better than cxx?

Maybe it's not. I'm sure CXX has strengths which py_cpp doesn't. Py_cpp
does, however, have some advantages that CXX doesn't have:

1. Never write PyArg_ParseTuple again - method argument checking and
forwarding is completely generated for you by the compiler
2. Subclass your C++ classes in Python! Overriding C++ virtual member
functions in Python actually works
3. Minimal intrusiveness on your C++ classes. No need to derive from some
common base class. You can wrap a 3rd party library component without
changing it.

Take a look at the example on the page referenced above for more details.

-Dave