Scientific plotting calls for Python on Mac??

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 10:34:47 EDT 2000

"Louis M. Pecora" <pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote in message
news:030920000959533029%pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil...
> There seem to be several packages out there for Python
> scientific/numeric plotting on the Mac, but it is not clear which are
> simplest to use -- my criteria.  Some seem to require several packages.
> Although I will pursue trying to sort this out, let me ask:
>
> Does anyone know of a simple, "standalone" Python plotting module?

Isn't that what PIDDLE is for?  With the QuickDraw backend, it
would seem to be right for your purposes on a Mac.  "This backend
generates MacOS QuickDraw graphics within a window of the Mac
Python IDE", says the blurb (can't check -- I have no Mac!), and
it says that nothing extra besides MacPython is needed with Python
1.5.2.

> Even just, open a window, draw some lines and simple patterns, write a
> little text, maybe even catch some keystroke events, but that's it.

No interactivity with PIDDLE+QuickDraw, I think.  If you need to
do 2 things (plot AND interact) you may have to use 2 packages...

Alex