Of what use is 'lambda'???

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Tue Sep 19 10:46:46 EDT 2000

In article <39c751ac.9682004 at news.bright.net>, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
>tdixon at linux.the-dixons.net (Tim Dixon) wrote:
>
>> Just a convenience: it lets you do function-like stuff without having to
>> create and name a function.  Lisp people (and its derivatives, from RPL to
>> Logo to ....) will find it a familiar concept.
>
>OTOH, I seldom use lambda in elisp, either.

Really?  In Scheme, lambda is the only way to create a
function. There is some syntactic sugar that lets you leave out
the actual string "lambda" if you want, but I always leave it in.

Does elisp have a non-lambda predicate to create functions?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Gee, I feel kind of
                                  at               LIGHT in the head now,