What is Python?

Tim Hammerquist tim at degree.ath.cx
Fri Sep 15 14:27:37 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote:
> Hah (insert evil cackle here), you say this *now*, but you'll find you'll
> be doing more and more in Python, slowly seduced to the dark side..

Ah! The bright light over here hurts my eyes anyway.  =)

> Anyway, I never went through this process myself as I discovered Python
> a few days after I started wrestling with Perl, and I never looked back,
> but I've seen enough posts by people coming from Perl by now. The report
> usually is that those people don't write much more than 1-liners (or at
> least sub-10 liners) in Perl anywamore. So, you are warned. :)

There's a reason Perl is symbolized by the Camel; it was an intentional
metaphor by the author: it's ugly, it stinks, but it does the job and
does it well.  Besides, it's an acquired taste, I've found.  I have no
intention of "leaving" Perl.  Python's another (very satisfying) language
under the belt.

Thanks for not burning me too badly.  =)

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>

	-- Thomas Edison