Please explain why python rocks...

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Sep 6 14:51:48 EDT 2000

"Gene C" <gchiaramonte at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Why not work through the python tutorial or get a copy of teach yourself
>python and try it for yourself?
>
>I noticed you didn't mention visual basic. Any reason why?

I've you're going to get platform specific with VB, then why
not consider VFP (Visual FoxPro) as well.  OO, complete IDE,
interpreted like Python (i.e. interactive command line), and
in a lot of ways better than VB for various tasks (VFP is
a descendent of Xbase, i.e. Venus Project at JPL -> dbase II
-> dBase III... (Clipper, FoxBase, FoxPro...) -> FPW -> VFP.

Unlike many languages, VFP has a large enough user base to
support its own Advisor Communications magazine (along with
VB), plus has DevCons and the like.

I mention this because the vibrancy of the *user community*
is an important consideration.  If you're going to dive into
a swimming pool, good to know you won't be too much on your
own.  Of course Python has an excellent user community (but
still needs the magazines (maybe the Edu-Sig thread will
spawn a Python for Teachers that goes to the schools (given
Python really is an excellent teaching language)).

Kirby