Who wrote Linux Audio Dev?

pehr anderson pehr at pehr.net
Wed Sep 20 01:29:24 EDT 2000

Dear Aaron,

I am using the pyesd library to add
interactive audio to my apps under linux.
It has worked very well for me so far.
I really like the pyesd interface and would
absolutely love it if we could turn that into
the de-facto cross-platform audio interface for python.
I'm sure some enterprising young windows hacker could
create a shim layer that would make the windows code
do the same thing.

http://www.users.cloud9.net/~proteus/pyesd/welcome.html

I also use the Festival speech synthesizer
but it doesn't sound as good as a human being ;)

Here is some example code of how I use pyesd if available,
othewise calling the esd shell routines and taking
a performance hit.
#
#NOTE: My example code here is not generalized!
#It assumes that .WAV files have a specific set of paramters.
#

try:
    # esd is provided by pyesd, which is a separate RPM file
    import esd,wave
    class Esound:
        """ If pyesd is installed, we can use the esdclient library
        to make playback faster
        """
        cache = {}
        def __init__(self):
            """ Start the Esound Daemon """
            errcode = os.system("esd >& /dev/null &")
            self.s = esd.ServerSession()

        def play(self, soundfile):
            name = string.replace(soundfile,"/","-")
            name = string.replace(name,".","-")
            if self.cache.has_key(name):
                self.s.playSample(name)
            else:
                w = wave.open(soundfile,"r")
                audio = w.readframes(100000)
                sample = esd.Sample(esd.ESD_PLAY | esd.ESD_BITS16 |
esd.ESD_MONO,
                                    esd.ESD_DEFAULT_RATE, audio)
                self.cache[name] = self.s.cacheSample(sample,name)
                self.s.playSample(name)

except ImportError:
    # This should work, rain or shine
    class Esound:
        def __init__(self):
            """ Start the Esound Daemon """
            errcode = os.system("esd >& /dev/null &")

        def play(self, soundfile):
            os.system("esdplay %s >& /dev/null" % soundfile)