Public Domain Python

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sun Sep 17 09:29:08 EDT 2000

Pat McCann wrote:

> But there is always risk involved.  I've read of lawyers claiming that
> the GPL is revocable by some theory that I never really understood, but
> I think amounted to a version of the law that definitely exists in some
> places (in the US once, I'd like to know where now) that there is no
> binding contract unless the two parties have exchanged things of value.

IANAL, but I suppose one could argue (after all, this is Usenet <wink>)
that the GPL license _does_ exchange things of value--much more than
"Wide Open"-style licenses.  The software user gets the GPL'ed software,
of course, (which is "valuable" at least on Unix and its clones <wink>),
and the software's copyright holder gets the presumably "valuable"
promise of adherence to "copyleft", that is, that modifications and
additions to the original GPL'ed software will themselves fall under the
GPL.

a-host-is-the-most-valuable-thing-a-virus-could-ever-own-<wink>
   -ly y'rs

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com