Public Domain Python

Grant Edwards ge at nowhere.none
Fri Sep 15 14:41:00 EDT 2000

In article <8ptmpb$1p4j at drn.newsguy.com>, Grant Griffin wrote:

>But the fact that someone who is experienced in that stuff
>needed two weeks to do it suggests that those of us who aren't
>particularly Unix-literate and aren't particularly GNU-literate
>(config.in, etc.) don't stand a chance.

It would be pretty tough for a non-Unix user.

Since I already knew how to do the configure/build stuff, and
new to watch for CR/LF problems, it wasn't too bad.  I did have
to chase down some target-specific bugs in gdb/insight.

The problems are mostly caused by the fact that you're trying
to use Unix tools under a non-Unix OS (despite Bill's claim
that NT is "more Unix than Unix" or whatever it was he said).
I presume that open-source projects that are native to Windows
go a lot smoother.

>Over the last few years, I've tried to get CygWin running
>several times, usually wasting 1-2 days on each unsuccessful
>attempt.  I've had some success installing the binaries, but I
>haven't ever gotten very far in having it rebuild itself from
>scratch.

Even I didn't try that.  I did the binary install of Cygwin
(which I had to do from a local directory -- I never got the
network-based install to work).

>But since Windows is a highly standardized system (it has to
>be: otherwise it would never work to ship software as
>binaries),

Most of the people where I work do Win32 applications and
driver work.  Judging by their problems windows isn't as
standardized as one would expect.

>Good point.  For example, I think there's a GNU chess
>program--but there isn't a GNU "Monopoly" program. <wink>
>
>(Which reminds me: isn't it about time for Stallman and his
>friends to write one of those "Home Lawyer" programs?  ;-)

They don't need to. All open-source developers are also amateur
IP lawyers.  I once went out with a lawyer who practiced in the
IP area. She was surprised that I knew anything at all about
copyright and patent law -- I explained that software
developers waste endless hours arguing about IP law.  A few of
them (generally not me) even know what they're talking about.

>Yup.  I think the moral of the story here is "Software
>'freedom' is mostly for the elite." ;-)

Historically, nobody gives you freedom -- those who want it
have to take it.  In the software world, you don't have to
fight and die for it, but you do have to be willing and able to
write software.  Groups who don't/won't/can't write software
are never free except at the pleasure of others.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It's today's SPECIAL!
                                  at