Painfully slow startup

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Sep 12 12:53:15 EDT 2000

markscottwright at my-deja.com writes:

> Yep - that's definitely it.  I pulled down the source for 1.5.2,
> commented out PlaySound and removed winmm.lib from the link directives,
> recompiled and voila! sub-second startups.  Maybe the fact that this is
> a laptop means that the sound card has funky power-management issues.
> Guess I should move to 2.0.

An alternative workaround option specifically to function with the
stock 1.5.2 would probably be to code some small stub program that
just forced loading of winmm.dll.  Once already in memory, it might
have far less impact on Python load times.

Your discovery probably also means that the issue of embedding Python
would really be a one time cost up front to your application and
unless your master application itself was starting/stopping
constantly, should not impact you once operational.

--
-- David