Public Domain Python

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Wed Sep 13 21:00:39 EDT 2000

Could the www.python.org site put up a web page (or section) which
shows:

a) Exactly which parts of "python" are copyrighted by CNRI.  Surely
there are *some* modules and chunks of code that came from alternative
sources.

b) The architecture, indicating where chunks could be rewritten and
hooked with the still-copyrighted sections (al a modula-3 and gcc).

c) A check-off list for tasks to be done to gradually wean the code
base from the license.

d) Very clear specifications of the functionality, supportive of clean
room reimplementation.

I'd guess CNRI would get the message after maybe 2/3 of the work was
done, and do a GPL.  But it would be a better implementation anyway
for having been rethought.

At any rate, the implementors should stop adding to the CNRI hoard.
If the cycle can't be broken, I need to know so I can stop moving
coworkers to python (20 so far, and more coming).

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com