Why don't I get a .pyc file?

Jeff Kunce kuncej at mail.conservation.state.mo.us
Tue Sep 19 10:59:01 EDT 2000

> > *But*, if you don't have write permissions on the directory
> > containing the .py file, the import will work but no .pyc will be
created.

> Are there numbers about how much, in general, the performance loss is if
> .pyc files cannot be generated?

All depends on the OS and the hardware and the current load on the machine,
I suppose. I do know that, during development when I edit a large module,
then
run a test program which imports it (creating a new .pyc file), the delay
can be
noticeable.

When I deploy a new CGI program, I run it once from the command line to
generate all the .pyc files.

  --Jeff