Interactive problems with Python 1.6

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Wed Sep 20 08:48:15 EDT 2000

Dave wrote:
> I am relativly new to Python, but recently upgraded to version 1.6 from
> 1.5.2 on Mandrake Linux. I have noticed that the up arrow key (among
> other control keys) has ceased to function as expected. Instead it
> misbehaves as follows:
>
> Python 1.6 (#1, Sep 15 2000, 11:08:57)  [GCC 2.95.3 19991030
> (prerelease)] on linux2
> Copyright (c) 1995-2000 Corporation for National Research Initiatives.
> All Rights Reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam.
> All Rights Reserved.
> 3.14159265359
> # Up arrow key pressed here !!!
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

on Unix, command line editing is provided by an optional
readline module, which uses the GNU readline library.

the source distribution README file should contain more
info on this.  also see appendix A in the tutorial, and FAQ
entry 3.7:

    http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/node13.html
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html#3.7

</F>